The best age to get someone into Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

The best age to get someone into Dragon Ball

Post by WesMan23 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Do you think any age is too young to get a child into the franchise? My daughter, who's going to be two in a week-and-a-half loves DBZ Kai, and always runs into the room when she hears it play, and follows along. We don't let her watch the fight scenes though, just to be on the safe side, but what she does watch, she loves. I was six, maybe seven, when I started watching, when DBZ first started airing in the US, and I loved it as well, obviously. So, is two years old too young to enjoy it, or should everybody watch it, regardless of age?
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The best age to get someone into Dragon Ball

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:54 pm

For the uncut, I'd 10/11 at oldest.
But for the censored verison between 6 and 8 in my opinion.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:57 pm

Some things you obviously wouldn't want to show them like the Master Roshi perv stuff :P But I started watching it when I was a little boy as well and If I had kids of my own I'd probably let them watch it fully around 6 or 7. except when Goku take Bulma's panties off and smacks around that area haha :P

Edit - Also I forgot about the shots of Goku being naked. definitely wouldn't want to have my daughter seeing that. I guess if I had a son it'd be a little easier for him to watch but I don't know if I would let him watch it then. lol
Last edited by samuraix123 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Personally, even for early Dragon Ball, I think any age is fine. I'd probably avoid the more violent aspects of the series until someone's about five or six though, just in case.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:06 pm

If I had kids, I'd be comfortable with them watching it uncut when they turned 8. Below that age, I'd let them watch an edited home video release, or watch it uncut but with me around to fast-forward or skip some scenes that went a bit far in the nudity/violence department. I'm a relatively liberal guy though, so there are only a few bits here and there where I'd be like, "OK guys, we're just gonna fast-forward a bit..."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:13 pm

My brother was 9 when I first introduced him via dubbed Kai. I then took him through dubbed DB/Z/GT. After that I introduced him to the Japanese version of everything (which has become his favorite way of watching). Everything I've shown him has been via uncut home releases.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm

LOL, my parents never prevented me from watching any type of cartoons, regardless of how old I was.
Parents today are too sensitiv3.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:23 pm

I was 10 when I started watching the first DB series with my sister 6. My younger brother has lived always with Dragon Ball Z.

I also started showing my niece DB when she was 6-7 and she loved it! We are watching the censored Latin version, but even then there are some jokes that she simply doesn't understand.

Her favorite characters are Bulma and Goku, because "Bulma is smart and cool", and "Goku is very funny and strong". :lol: She even cosplayed as Bulma a couple of months back!

There are some scene with Goku naked but she just simply giggles and comments on how "Goku is like a baby, he doesn't know he should be dressed".

Even as a "girly type" of girl, she didn't have much of a problem with the currently darker parts... like Tao Pai Pai killing Bora. Of course... she was surprised and a little sad "Poor Upa, He killed his daddy". But overall, she loved the whole Karin training and how Goku stopped Tao Pai Pai.

Right now we are at the 22nd Tournament and she's excited that Goku and Krillin are going to fight. We still have almost half the series to go, so hopefully she will be 9 when we start Z, which I believe might be just the right age for her. She knows DBZ exist, but she understands we want her to watch this first and let her grow a little because DBZ is more grown up, like Goku. Even then, she will sing Chala-Head-Chala with me the moment I play the song for her.

I have been seriously thinking on making a video to help also other people... something like "Dragon Ball 1st Arc under 10 minutes" to recap things if they really want to jump directly to DBZ/Kai
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Well according to my family and brother, I first started watching DBZ heavily when I was three years old. Obviously I don't remember things that well from that age but I think a lot of that adds to my adult enjoyment nowadays, at least on a subconscious level.

I'd say that any age is good for introducing a child to DB in general though. Especially if you want a child to be interested in learning a new language! I remember I was able to learn a butt load of Spanish as a child because my parents bought me the DB manga in Espanol.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:55 pm

soulnova wrote: There are some scene with Goku naked but she just simply giggles and comments on how "Goku is like a baby, he doesn't know he should be dressed".
Take note, Americans. This is how kids in normal countries react to this kind of scenes.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Gokuden wrote:LOL, my parents never prevented me from watching any type of cartoons, regardless of how old I was.
Same. My mom would usually let me watch whatever as long as it didn't contain nudity in it. I grew up on tons of horror movies and stuff haha :P I actually had a friend and his mom was very very religious(Christian) and she heard some stupid crap in church that atheists made Pokemon cards and she made him rip them everyone up and throw them in the garbage. he also wasn't allowed to watch Dragonball because his mom heard Mr satan's name and that ended that. nothing wrong with being religious but come on...don't be crazy. I always felt sorry for him. but I still wouldn't want to let my daughter see Goku naked haha :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:15 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Gokuden wrote:LOL, my parents never prevented me from watching any type of cartoons, regardless of how old I was.
Same. My mom would usually let me watch whatever as long as it didn't contain nudity in it. I grew up on tons of horror movies and stuff haha :P I actually had a friend and his mom was very very religious(Christian) and she heard some stupid crap in church that atheists made Pokemon cards and she made him rip them everyone up and throw them in the garbage. he also wasn't allowed to watch Dragonball because his mom heard Mr satan's name and that ended that. nothing wrong with being religious but come on...don't be crazy. I always felt sorry for him. but I still wouldn't want to let my daughter see Goku naked haha :P
Where are you from? I don't really know how many countries left Mr. Satan's name intact.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
I grew up on a ton of James Bond, TNT, Showcase, HBO, they were my home when I was a baby, along with that terrible super mario show. I caught glimpses of Dragon Ball: hARMHY GoLd Dub, and Zero as well. He did swim with the big fish, I was about 2-3 years-old when that happened on YTV.

What's the matter Samurai123? Scared of Saiyan baby penises? :twisted:
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:22 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:
Where are you from? I don't really know how many countries left Mr. Satan's name intact.
The United states. Kentucky. it is very religious down here and you have to put up with a-lot stupidity.(Not saying anyone from here is ignorant and not saying religion makes you ignorant.) but I believe on TV here for a long while they called Mr Satan Her-cule then switched it to Mr Satan? but when his mom heard from the movie Bojack Unbound ''Mr Satan you're a crafty devil'' or something a-long those lines, she said enough of this. LOL exact words LOL
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Gokuden wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:
I grew up on a ton of James Bond, TNT, Showcase, HBO, they were my home when I was a baby, along with that terrible super mario show. I caught glimpses of Dragon Ball: hARMHY GoLd Dub, and Zero as well. He did swim with the big fish, I was about 2-3 years-old when that happened on YTV.

What's the matter Samurai123? Scared of Saiyan baby penises? :twisted:
What's wrong with you? Of course not. I just wouldn't want my daughter watching naked boys on TV.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:29 pm

samuraix123 wrote: What's wrong with you? Of course not. I just wouldn't want my daughter watching naked boys on TV.
The question at hand here is why you don't want that.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:32 pm

You guys have to be trolling me? If you had children....you would HONESTLY! be okay with exposing them to naked children on TV? That's messed up.

Edit - but if you guys are trying to be serious and ask me ''WHY'' I feel this way then I will bite. I believe it would be wrong of me as a parent to allow my daughter who's 4 or 5,6,7 or hell 8! to see a naked little boy. and vice versa. I wasn't raised to expose my children to such as that.
Last edited by samuraix123 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 pm

samuraix123 wrote:You guys have to be trolling me? If you had children....you would HONESTLY! be okay with exposing them to naked children on TV? That's messed up.
Why is that messed up? Why should we not be okay with that? Is every parent of every person who grew up on a version of DragonBall that wasn't censored for nudity "messed up"?

10 minutes ago you made a post where you agreed today's parents were too sensitive to what they let their children watch, praised your mother for not being like that, and made fun of your friend's mother for not letting your friend watch a show about a character named Mr. Satan. Don't you think your friend's mother thought your mother was "messed up" for letting you watch such content?
Let that sink in for a minute.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:39 pm

samuraix123 wrote:You guys have to be trolling me? If you had children....you would HONESTLY! be okay with exposing them to naked children on TV? That's messed up.
Well for one, I'd be totally fine with it.

Maybe it's just a cultural thing but a lot of my relatives' children play together half naked all the time. Girls and boys.

Edit: Usually from the time when they are 1-4 or 5 ish. Which I don't really see a problem with, again.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:46 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Where are you from? I don't really know how many countries left Mr. Satan's name intact.
The United states. Kentucky. it is very religious down here and you have to put up with a-lot stupidity.(Not saying anyone from here is ignorant and not saying religion makes you ignorant.) but I believe on TV here for a long while they called Mr Satan Her-cule then switched it to Mr Satan? but when his mom heard from the movie Bojack Unbound ''Mr Satan you're a crafty devil'' or something a-long those lines, she said enough of this. LOL exact words LOL[/quote]
Ah, OK. Even though I had read your location, I thought that you might not be actually American because of all the H-Word stuff. I didn't know that the proper name had been heard on American TV.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that it is such as big deal. If I had young children, I obviously wouldn't expose them to live-action naked people on TV, or to animes with a sexual connotation.
For example, I'd fast forward the scenes where Goku sees Bulma naked, and when she realizes that his tail is real and she thinks (at least in uncut versions) that she thought that men only had "tails" in the front, but she has never seen any man naked to be sure.
However, episode 1, to name an example, is completely different. Goku is a child who lives alone in the forest, and he gets naked to fish. The same with Gohan turning back to normal in DBZ. There is nothing sexual there, nor are there connotations. I wouldn't skip those scenes.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts