Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Kai Episode 102 (27 April 2014)

Post by sangofe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 am

kei17 wrote:The terrible score on this episode made me wonder how it would have been with the Kikuchi score, so I made my music placement just out of curiosity. http://yahoo.jp/box/YwgOlW
Listening to the HQ Kikuchi score brought tears to my eyes. I wonder why they just didn't license Kikuchi's music for the Boo saga...

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:00 pm

sangofe wrote:Listening to the HQ Kikuchi score brought tears to my eyes. I wonder why they just didn't license Kikuchi's music for the Boo saga...
They probably didn't want to make the same mistake twice that they've done before with the episodes 1-98 using Kikuchi's Z music, or hiring/using his music may be out of their budget for this time around hence why the picture quality and music aren't up to the task.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm

That techno theme wouldn't sound out of place in a commercial.....think it was recycled from one of those...? :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:44 pm

I don't think that song for Goku's return was so bad. They're trying to aim for cheerful and dancey haha. But honestly I think they really could have done better. :think:

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:They're trying to aim for cheerful and dancey haha
That's the problem.

That scene isn't about cheer and dance. It's an emotional moment marking the return of Goku after years of being out of contact with everyone. Their choice is music entirely alters the tone of the scene and straight up kills it.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 pm

just watched this episode, I agreed that the music were horrible. Aside from the reunion scene, the scene where no.18 first get a high score with the weight machine was bad too. In the original, it suppose to be a sudden change of mood in the arena, as a music of seriousness was played. But in this new one, they played another party music, I was like what the fuck.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Am I the only one that loves the episode intro theme? It's a great track, i love it.
Also the opening is really amazing, i can't get enough of listening to it! Kun-Zen-Zetsu-Go is even better than Dragon Soul in my opinion!

These two tracks and the one that played all the time during the baseball scene are lovely. I still have hope for this soundtrack, maybe it will be great after Buu revives, who knows.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:Am I the only one that loves the episode intro theme? It's a great track, i love it.
Also the opening is really amazing, i can't get enough of listening to it! Kun-Zen-Zetsu-Go is even better than Dragon Soul in my opinion!

These two tracks and the one that played all the time during the baseball scene are lovely. I still have hope for this soundtrack, maybe it will be great after Buu revives, who knows.
The OP and ED are two things I completely despise of Dragon Ball Kai: Season 3 (going by what was on the Japanese DBK sets) because it doesn't have that Dragon Ball-ness to it that Dragon Soul for example did. Whenever I watch it I always skip to the Episode or to the NEP.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 pm

Flame Dragon wrote:Am I the only one that loves the episode intro theme? It's a great track, i love it.

I think most agree that Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go is pretty damn awesome. I love it as it feels reminiscent of the Dragon Ball Z video game themes, and I will say I pretty much love all DBZ video game themes over all the tv show themes. Out of all tv opening theme's it's my favourite by far. I also get a kick out of the opening animation even though it looks really cheap in comparison to the older one.

I really really hope the music picks up. I just get a kick out of the voice acting so most of the stuff that bothers everyone doesn't bother me (besides music). I still don't get how DBZ get's so much praise when the pacing is absolute shit compared to the original Dragon Balls pacing. I tried re-watching the original but so much nothing was happening. It's so dull I can't recommend anyone to sit through it. I can only recommend Kai or better yet the Original Dragon Ball to start with.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:02 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:

The OP and ED are two things I completely despise of Dragon Ball Kai: Season 3 (going by what was on the Japanese DBK sets) because it doesn't have that Dragon Ball-ness to it that Dragon Soul for example did. Whenever I watch it I always skip to the Episode or to the NEP.
I have to say that Dear Zarathustra is a lot better than Kokoro no Hane. The visuals for Dear Zarathustra remind me that this season is actually pretty different than the Android saga in setting and in strory turns. Buu sage is sort of all over the place, but in a good way. Lots of scenery changes and lots of different situations. If I were to see Dragon Ball for the first time, I'd be like "Oh, wow, where's this going?!! All these different situations, how will that become a proper story?". Of course it's debatable that it was a good story at all, BUT it makes me excited and the song really isn't that bad either. Anyway, I'm mostly saying, it might not be purely Dragon Ball, but I don't think it's bad at all :)

Dragon Soul feels better than the current opening, I agree, but the current opening is still something I don't skip through :)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 am

I don`t know why, but, this episode colors look very bleak to me. I'm sorry for being so negative, but, we are just 3 episodes in, and I'm already hoping this whole Kai thing will end already, seriously, now I'm really worried, if SM will be as dissapointing as this, i don`t want to live on this planet anymore :cry:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:55 am

It's funny, my opinion of the OP/ED themes have reversed. On a first viewing, I loved the OP and was really iffy about the ending theme.

I still do enjoy the OP but not the extent I did on a first viewing. However, I am in love with the ED theme. When they launched their music video, I watched it a good few times in a row!

There's something about the 'AHHH-AHH-AHH-AHHHH' parts that just work for me.

I do think Zetsu is, of course, much more fitting to Dragon Ball and I can totally see why it's the opening theme but man, I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer that ending.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:02 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:It's funny, my opinion of the OP/ED themes have reversed. On a first viewing, I loved the OP and was really iffy about the ending theme.

I still do enjoy the OP but not the extent I did on a first viewing. However, I am in love with the ED theme. When they launched their music video, I watched it a good few times in a row!

There's something about the 'AHHH-AHH-AHH-AHHHH' parts that just work for me.

I do think Zetsu is, of course, much more fitting to Dragon Ball and I can totally see why it's the opening theme but man, I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer that ending.
Man that's quite a shift...I still think the ending theme isn't that great. I enjoy it more than I first did and do like hearing it, but I still have fallen for Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go. Dragon Ball Video Game like themes are my weak point...I love em all.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:04 pm

I think I like both songs about equal as of now, but that could change as soon as I get to hear a full version of the opening.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:38 pm

worldmonsters wrote:I have to say that Dear Zarathustra is a lot better than Kokoro no Hane. The visuals for Dear Zarathustra remind me that this season is actually pretty different than the Android saga in setting and in strory turns. Buu sage is sort of all over the place, but in a good way. Lots of scenery changes and lots of different situations. If I were to see Dragon Ball for the first time, I'd be like "Oh, wow, where's this going?!! All these different situations, how will that become a proper story?". Of course it's debatable that it was a good story at all, BUT it makes me excited and the song really isn't that bad either. Anyway, I'm mostly saying, it might not be purely Dragon Ball, but I don't think it's bad at all :)

Dragon Soul feels better than the current opening, I agree, but the current opening is still something I don't skip through :)
I didn't like Kokoro No Hane very much either but it was somewhat more tolerable than this one although I may end up getting used to it, however, as things are I still can't stand it because to me it doesn't sound DB-ish.

Anyhow, seeing DBZ's Great Saiyaman arc and then Kai's Great Saiyaman arc shows that they've removed a lot of filler from the episodes that they've released so far although I kinda miss Angela going on a date with Son Gohan.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu May 01, 2014 10:20 am

This episode ended up being ok for me. I didn't notice any problems with Goku's arrival until I went on this thread so it isn't something that really bugs me all too much.

I really appreciate the speed at which these episodes are flying by though. Several months ago I had been watching the Z anime with a friend and boy did the Great Saiyaman arc take forever, or at least it felt like it took forever to get through.

As soon as Kai is dubbed by Funimation I know that my amigo will really appreciate this version over the other, most definitely.

The music continues to be distinct, and I have no problems with the placement. My only "meh" response is just in relation to the original appearance of Kai. I really adore Yamamoto's OST and I thought it was incredibly well done. Not just compared to what we have now but with OST's in general. So anything after that will be a bit of a let down.

I continue to love the opening and closing songs much more than the previous one's though. Something about them just gets me excited to watch Kai in a way that the others never did for me. Though I'd say that Dragon Soul comes closest in that regard.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 am

You know, if Toei Animation had kept the Kikuchi music that they used before for the Old Kai it would have been perfectly suitable because some of the pieces were originally used in the Majin Boo arc so just another reason to avoid this mediocre new soundtrack.

The scene of Goku meeting everyone at the Tenkaichi Tournament and him with Goten are by far superior in every level in Dragon Ball Z.

Goku Meets Everyone at the Tenkachi Tournament - YouTube
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:You know, if Toei Animation had kept the Kikuchi music that they used before for the Old Kai it would have been perfectly suitable because some of the pieces were originally used in the Majin Boo arc so just another reason to avoid this mediocre new soundtrack.

The scene of Goku meeting everyone at the Tenkaichi Tournament and him with Goten are by far superior in every level in Dragon Ball Z.

Oh yeah no contest here. That was much better.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:18 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:You know, if Toei Animation had kept the Kikuchi music that they used before for the Old Kai it would have been perfectly suitable because some of the pieces were originally used in the Majin Boo arc so just another reason to avoid this mediocre new soundtrack.

That shows yet another odd change in Kai. Piccolo says "Goku" instead of "Son". Unless that was how it was in the manga.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Fri May 02, 2014 9:13 pm

It does not bother me either. I get what they were trying to do... since the faster pacing, they tried to play out the cheerful side of the reunion, instead of the slow, and emotional side. The problem is that the track itself is mediocre to say the least, i would have pictured Dragon Soul Orchestra version as a much better track for the occasion.
The rest of the episode was fine, and the soundtrack was not that bad. I kinda like it, it's pretty cozy and relaxed, which makes me enjoy the faster pacing better.

I just hope the serious tracks for the fights will be good!