The Newest Batch of Toriyama Tidbits...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: The Newest Batch of Toriyama Tidbits...

Post by Mewzard » Tue May 06, 2014 11:38 pm

Basaku wrote:
Mewzard wrote: Also, outside of the uncertainty of DB Online and EoB

[...]

given how contradictory movie and regular episode events tend to be, that's up to the individual I suppose.
That's the point. On one side you're trying to portray it how everything is clear and then admit yourself how contradictory a lot of recent stuff is and how some of it really is up in the air regarding its canonical status, like DB Online which is a VERY significant material lore-wise.
Toei's material is always contradictory.Toei comes up with something original, then the source material tends to come up with something that counters it. The movies can rarely ever fit cleanly in a timeline, for instance.

I wouldn't really count Episode of Bardock. DB Online is only iffy because DB Online is straight up dead, and Toriyama hasn't said anything on if it still counts (did it ever count? Or was it just fun future ideas? It was pre BoG, so that complicates things).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed May 07, 2014 12:07 am

Mewzard wrote:I wouldn't really count Episode of Bardock. DB Online is only iffy because DB Online is straight up dead, and Toriyama hasn't said anything on if it still counts (did it ever count? Or was it just fun future ideas? It was pre BoG, so that complicates things).
Dragon Ball Online stopped seeming like it mattered when Toriyama mentioned how boring of a future Tenshinhan, Chaozu, and Yamcha had in an interview, as opposed to them actively fighting off the remnants of Freeza's army when they attacked, and Ten later forming his own martial arts school in DBO.

Plus, DBO adhered to the whole "Goku sent to Earth as a naked baby" continuity, which Toriyama just recently disregarded via Minus.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed May 07, 2014 12:13 am

Man, Dragon Ball Online was so awesome...

Remember when that was the manga continuity and everything wasn't revolving around Beerus? It's shame to see all that work put into that timeline be scrapped for something that's, at least I feel, is inferior.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed May 07, 2014 5:55 am

Jackal puFF wrote:That's pretty cool for Satan to survive a cyborg TPP attack. :clap:
Dude survived a Cell attack and a Buu attack.... pretty sure Mr Satan is in fact immortal.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 am

It is clear that sometime in Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 am

JackyBoi99 wrote:It is clear that sometime in Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.
If we ever get this story (from Toriyama or anyone else) I will blame you and your post for starting it. :P
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 am

You're welcome haha :lol:
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed May 07, 2014 10:54 am

Insertclevername wrote:Man, Dragon Ball Online was so awesome...

Remember when that was the manga continuity and everything wasn't revolving around Beerus? It's shame to see all that work put into that timeline be scrapped for something that's, at least I feel, is inferior.
The timeline that spanned the distance between the end of the Manga and Dragonball Online was pretty nice - but the events in the game itself were a little lame. The time-travel plot was basically just a convoluted way to do a re-telling of older Dragonball storylines that the player could be involved in. There was too much recycled content, too much regurgitation.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:06 am

RocktheDragon wrote:
JackyBoi99 wrote:It is clear that sometime in Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.
If we ever get this story (from Toriyama or anyone else) I will blame you and your post for starting it. :P
Well Mr. Satan does die in DBO's timeline, which prompts Freeza's army to invade Earth.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed May 07, 2014 1:44 pm

For all its plot holes... DBO did feel consistent with a lot of the lore and had a distinct DB feel to it. :| I wish they could still take some of those plots into the main story.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Wed May 07, 2014 1:56 pm

soulnova wrote:For all its plot holes... DBO did feel consistent with a lot of the lore and had a distinct DB feel to it. :| I wish they could still take some of those plots into the main story.
If a remake of the anime ever came out, I'd love it to be kind of expanded, not with filler, but with sidestories and additional data (for example, giving us more information about Freeza's empire) like DBO, making a consistent story with no plotholes while still feeling like DB.

Remember the origin of the Majin race according to DBO? That's what I'm talking about.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

JeffJarrett
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by JeffJarrett » Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 am

Those new tidbits introduce lots of new characters to the franchise: Satan's teacher, Gero's son, #17's wife, child, and two adopted children, etc.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 12, 2014 12:10 pm

I'd like to know if Kid Trunks knows about Vegeta's past of commiting global genocide for who was essentially space Hitler, coming to Earth and trying to kill everyone and blow it up.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Freeza is not "space Hitler".
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 12, 2014 1:57 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Freeza is not "space Hitler".
True. But I like the term, it's funny :lol:

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 12, 2014 5:01 pm

soulnova wrote:For all its plot holes... DBO did feel consistent with a lot of the lore and had a distinct DB feel to it. :| I wish they could still take some of those plots into the main story.
The Saiyan extinction should be its own arc to at least give Super-powered humans a chance to make a statement for themselves.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon May 12, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't see how he's not. Obviously there are some disparities involving their methods of conquest but calling him "Hitler in Space" gets the idea across that he's an evil, tyrannical, ruler.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
I don't see how he's not. Obviously there are some disparities involving their methods of conquest but calling him "Hitler in Space" gets the idea across that he's an evil, tyrannical, ruler.
"Evil tyrant" =/= Hitler. They're next to nothing alike, aside from stock villainous traits you'll find in EVERY "evil overlord" type.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Should Freeza's genocidal tendencies be brought up?

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Genocidal, racist rulers on a conquest. They're pretty similar.