Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Re: Am I the only one who hates all these new movies?

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:39 am

hleV wrote:Piccolo with 4 fingers and Piccolo with 5 fingers cannot be in the same continuity.
These are slight design differences. It's like saying that because they using different colors from the manga, they can't be in the same continuity, even though the colors in the manga are inconsistent. The reason that they use anime designs & colors is because this is an anime, but this doesn't mean that the story of the movie couldn't have happened in the manga continuity.

BUT, just because Toriyama wrote the new movies doesn't necessarily make it "canon". Kishimoto (Naruto), Oda (One Piece), Kubo (Bleach), and Sumimoto (Toriko), for example, have all written at least one movie, but most of them are non-canon to the manga (and some even to the anime), because they don't fit in the continuity. Kubo has even wrote the story of a video game, yet it doesn't even fit in the anime continuity.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:41 am

rereboy wrote:
i'mfuckingevil wrote:I know I can ignore everything that came after the manga run, BUT, the reason me ignoring it is not the same as not acknowledging its importance to the franchise is because they're canon. Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon? Which means whether or not I choose to acknowledge or ignore them, they matter and are a part of the story in the manga.

Kamiccolo9, I know vehemently didn't fit in that sentence but I find hard to believe you couldn't see any of the other points I touched upon in my post besides just the milking of DBZ.
Canon only means that the events that they portray officially happen in the same in-universe continuity. Its not some holy and sacred status of being. Since these new extras came out much later than the original work and the original work was completed a long time ago, these extras are not really part of the original work even if they are canon, and thus you can easily not care about them.

Its the same situation as the Star Wars prequels. They are officially canon, but they are not really part of the original work. They are extras produced many years after the original work was done and completed that happen to be officially considered part of the same in-universe continuity. That's all. You can easily and safely ignore them and care only about the original work, just like in Dragon Ball you can only care about the original work.
That's not the same, because Lucasfilm oficially stated, that all the 6 Movies, The Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows + new books and works coming out now are oficially the same canon and continuity, excluding past EU titles.
Lucasfilm has a strict policy about continuity, so in in-universe debates, you can have only the OT as your own canon, but Vader really did chase the Bounty Hounter trough the streets of Coruscant and Jar Jar supported the start of Clone Wars in Star Wars.

As in Dragon Ball, we have the manga and anime + the movies, that as story goes don't fit into the series, but Daizenshuu guide stated, that Movie 1 and 5 happened in the anime continuity. But there is nothing like canon, so you can include and exclude all you want freely. For example I view Movie 9 as part of the series, someone says it isn't but fits the best despite some minor plotholes and someone other excludes the movie completely etc.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:47 am

MCDaveG wrote:

That's not the same, because Lucasfilm oficially stated, that all the 6 Movies, The Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows + new books and works coming out now are oficially the same canon and continuity, excluding past EU titles.
Lucasfilm has a strict policy about continuity, so in in-universe debates, you can have only the OT as your own canon, but Vader really did chase the Bounty Hounter trough the streets of Coruscant and Jar Jar supported the start of Clone Wars in Star Wars.

As in Dragon Ball, we have the manga and anime + the movies, that as story goes don't fit into the series, but Daizenshuu guide stated, that Movie 1 and 5 happened in the anime continuity. But there is nothing like canon, so you can include and exclude all you want freely. For example I view Movie 9 as part of the series, someone says it isn't but fits the best despite some minor plotholes and someone other excludes the movie completely etc.
He was considering these movies to be canon, even if there's no official statement about it, so it ends up being basically the same thing for him. Thus making the comparison relevant.
hleV wrote:Piccolo with 4 fingers and Piccolo with 5 fingers cannot be in the same continuity.
If anything, that's just a plothole, like that panel in the manga where Piccolo Daimao had 5 fingers.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm

I actually don't hate them, but I'm certain Toriyama could have done them better if he really wanted to. This resurrection of Frieza doesn't seem to be a very original idea, still the execution could be well done, though. I'm not against new movies. Because in this rate the old fans can have some of the feeling of the old times, but I'm begging for more original ideas. The God of Destruction and the Super Saiyan God weren't at all original ideas, but the movie on its own was really good. I really wanted that in this current movie to descover at least one more universe, to find out how does Toriyama imagine them, very similar to the 7th or very different.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:19 pm

rereboy wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:

He was considering these movies to be canon, even if there's no official statement about it, so it ends up being basically the same thing for him. Thus making the comparison relevant.
If anything, that's just a plothole, like that panel in the manga where Piccolo Daimao had 5 fingers.
You mean DBZ movies or Star Wars ones? Because Star Wars canon is official, Japanese anime shows canon is actually kind of abstract to non-existant. Gundam for example is one hell of a mess, so is Saint Seiya.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm

The Dragon Ball ones. He stated that he believed them to be canon. Its true that there's no official word on it, so there's a technical difference, but since he thinks of them as canon, it makes the comparison relevant.

I used the Star Wars example to show that, even in a case of officially declared continuity, since the extras/prequels were made so much time after the original was properly concluded, the extras aren't really part of the original work. They might be part of the same in-universe continuity, but they are not part of the original work. Therefore, they are extras and its fine to don't care about them if you want.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:29 pm

rereboy wrote:
Err how is that a plot hole? Unless Piccolo's fingers are specific to the plot then it isn't a plot hole.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Err how is that a plot hole? Unless Piccolo's fingers are specific to the plot then it isn't a plot hole.
Lacking a better term to describe that inconsistency, I called it a plothole. Its not very relevant to the plot, true, but its still a inconsistent and irreconcilable element showed in the story.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Rocketman wrote: DB Evolution is the best Dragonball movie of the past six years.
Though I really like Battle of Gods, I concur with this.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Evolution was terrible, but I do feel like people over hate it sometimes. The movie was a bad movie that bombed at the box office and was quickly forgotten. At least the movie's score was good, James Marsters as Piccolo was enjoyable and the movie had some cool monster suits (I love practical effects). Not to mention the movie has the feel of a 90's comic book movie, so there's some campy value to it. If I had to chose to watch Evolution over something like Battlefield Earth, Legend of Chun Li, Godzilla (1998) or the Transformers sequels (I haven't seen the 4th movie and I have no plans to) then I would DBE any day of the week over those movies.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Neshawn
Beyond Newbie

Post by Neshawn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

In this forum, yes, you are probably the only one. also battle of gods is the only new "movie". The others are just specials that aren't dubbed outside of Japan. so even if you hate the specials it's not like it was really meant to be a big release as much as, in the case of goku and friends, something to celebrate some anniversary. Or the Bardock special was made for a game. look at them as long commercials, all for promotion.

So I have to ask if you hate everything released after wrath of the dragon. Does that mean you wish they just stopped releasing stuff? I waited my whole life, 15 years so not whole life, for the album Chinese democracy, and trust me, if you really like something (a band. TV show). more is better
"I'm THE BEAN DADDY!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:48 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
Rocketman wrote: DB Evolution is the best Dragonball movie of the past six years.
Though I really like Battle of Gods, I concur with this.
Best of the worst, maybe, but it was a bad movie and a bad DB movie.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:44 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Godzilla (1998)
Which is also better than the modern DB movies, oddly enough.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
If that's all it takes to break your belief of continuity, you might be taking this all just a little too seriously. Just a smidge. ...Okay, probably a lot more than that.
I'm really not sure how two completely unreconcilable elements breaking continuity means something is taken too seriously.

It's truly an extremely minor detail, but it's still a fact that it's inconsistent. If someone bases their idea of continuity on consistency, than that would indeed be out of continuity for them.

----

I wouldn't say I hate all the new movies, but they're pretty poor. At least the manga version of the JSAT special was decent, the actual special was really boring though.

Battle of Gods has an atrocious plot and bad fight scenes, but the humour and interactions were quite good. It's not nearly enough to excuse the movie's faults, but I can't say I hate it.

Really not liking the look of the upcoming movie, though. The whole hype about Freeza coming back and the wish of the despair makes me feel that this movie is going to be more serious than Battle of Gods was - the absolutely worst direction to go. Battle of Gods turned to shit whenever it became serious and focused on the main plot.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:46 am

You know who is milked? Superman... He couldn't win against Goku, according to a redaction on screw attack.

On the contrary, I love these new movies because they make me feel young again, it feels good that my favorite superheroes are still trending with the older and newer generation. It produces talk on these forums, so it's always good to talk about something you like with other like-minded people.

It shows me that Akira Toriyama's still got it, shows me he's young at heart, and that he never forgets about DB and its fans. :lol:

Also, GAMES, new characters, new story arcs, a slightly bastardized reason to make way for a new entry in the fighting games arena.
It may tie-up some loose ends on what happens to characters like Mirai Trunks, Mirai anybody. The downside of this is that ugly CGi, and smooth animation, nothing like the by-hand arthritis-inducing sharp le look of the 90s.

Piccolo is a large living cucumber, who says he can't grow an extra limb like most disfigured garden fruits do?
Have you seen how deformed some strange cucumbers can be?

Continuity fixed.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Post by JamesOwnz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:04 am

Real happy about the new movies.. BoG was easily the best Dragon Ball movie.. in part I'm sure because it was actually written by AT.

Bring me all the movies you can while Nozawa is still active.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:50 am

I wouldn't say I've hated them. I actually really liked the JSAT, and I really liked Battle of Gods. Hated Episode of Bardock. Really, *really* hated DBMinus. Was absolutely appalled by Toriyama's contributions to the Full-Color Q&As. But, honestly, I could have easily done without any of them. Don't get me wrong. It was so exciting to see BoG in theatres and have the thrill of seeing new DB... but I completely agree with the idea of franchise fatigue. I don't see anything wrong with a franchise having the courage to just say, "This is the end of the story." In fact, I much prefer that. Otherwise, a franchise is just milked into the ground until the moment it stops making money, which almost guarantees it's going to end on a very poor note. The Harry Potter example is one I actually use a lot too. I constantly hear my friends clamor over any rumor of a next Harry Potter book, and I was the only one who'd be absolutely disgusted by the idea. No. It's over. It told its story. Don't ruin it now. It's the same reason why I think it was a terrible idea for FUNimation to let the fans choose the aspect ratio. Because sometimes I think fans are more interested in attempting to recapture that same feeling of excitement over a new release than really thinking about or knowing what's best for the series.

So, yeah, to a certain extent, I agree with the original poster. Or at least the idea behind it. Still cautiously optimistic about this next film, though.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:28 am

Saiga wrote:I'm really not sure how two completely unreconcilable elements breaking continuity means something is taken too seriously.

It's truly an extremely minor detail, but it's still a fact that it's inconsistent. If someone bases their idea of continuity on consistency, than that would indeed be out of continuity for them.
That's exactly my point - it's so minor that I just don't get how that could be enough to bug someone, at least to that level. That would be like...suppose the manga had Boo arc Kuririn's hair cut so that you could still see the dots on his head. But then the anime had the dots covered. 'The dots aren't there, this is non-canon!' That...just seems silly.
Battle of Gods has an atrocious plot and bad fight scenes, but the humour and interactions were quite good. It's not nearly enough to excuse the movie's faults, but I can't say I hate it.
And exactly what part of the plot is 'atrocious'? The only thing that I still call into question is the Super Saiyan God ritual itself. As for the fight scenes, there may be a few that didn't hit as good as they could have, but the parts in the cave (especially the water droplets not falling for a bit) and right after that (where the insert song plays) are good enough to make up for that, IMO.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm

I can't judge "F" completely, because we don't have enough information yet. But I hate the idea of Freeza coming back (the power level thing is just ugh)...

About Battle of Gods. The movie is miserable, and the plot feels like a joke to me. The 2008 Jump Special, that I do like and love. And Episode of Bardock is meh.

With that said, I support the idea of new movies, even if I don't like them. They keep DB alive, which makes me feel good. On the other hand, I wish they were significantly better (And I'm assuming the next one will suck, which nobody knows).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Aren't Goku & his Friends Return, the Bardock Episode, and Battle of Gods all canon?

The Bardock special isn't no.
Evolution was terrible, but I do feel like people over hate it sometimes.

The movie was a travesty and deserves all the hate it gets. You mention the Transformers sequels but all of them are far far superior to DB Evolution. I wish DBE was even half as good as the worst Transformers movie.

As for the topic at hand there is no "all", there's been ONE movie and two specials. The movie itself was decent enough it was just hugely let down by being overly silly what with baby Pilaf and dancing Vegeta that's all. It was still far better than all the previous movies.