Dragon Soul - Discussion Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Soul Book - Looking to Tell Your Story

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:32 pm

DerekPadula wrote:Thanks, dbzfan7. Please PM me your full name, city / country, and age, along with a photograph of yourself or something Dragon Ball related that is special to you.
dbzfan7 wrote:The sound of the aura, which apparently is based on sounds that babies in wombs hear.
This is new to me. I like the idea of it, but where did you hear this? I don't want to print it in the book if that's just a rumor, because then it'll spread incorrect information to everyone who reads it. It might be true, but I had never heard that, so can you please try to show me the source?

Thank you.
Ok I'll just need to send that. I do have a video of the Saiyaman Dance with Kyle Hebert I did a while back too. I'll try to get it by the end of today.

Kei17 seemed to point it out. He's a reliable source and was the one who did the info leaks for Battle of Gods when it was coming out. You can ask him I suppose if that's true. http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p562928
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 pm

I... I want that translated *salivates*.

I wish my Japanese were better. But I'll trust Kei on this one and put it in print.

Thanks Ajay.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:39 pm

Asked my Japanese friend to pull out the relevant quote:
素材は何を使ったのか、いろんなことをやっていましたのでほとんど覚えていません。いろんなものでやっていて、ただこの周期だけは、お母さんの胎内のグウグウグウという列車の音みたいなものがありますよね、あの周期に近いようにしてるんです、これ。だから子どもが聞いたときに違和感のない音なんですよ。僕は科学とかが好きやったから、そういう本を昔から読んでいて、あの音がそういう音だということは分かってましたから。
Hopefully that helps!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Asked my Japanese friend to pull out the relevant quote:
素材は何を使ったのか、いろんなことをやっていましたのでほとんど覚えていません。いろんなものでやっていて、ただこの周期だけは、お母さんの胎内のグウグウグウという列車の音みたいなものがありますよね、あの周期に近いようにしてるんです、これ。だから子どもが聞いたときに違和感のない音なんですよ。僕は科学とかが好きやったから、そういう本を昔から読んでいて、あの音がそういう音だということは分かってましたから。
Hopefully that helps!
Kei also said this
kei17 wrote:Just so there's no confusion, the SSJ aura sounds are not made of sounds from womb. He edited some unrelated sounds and repeted them. He doesn't remember what kinds of sounds he originaly used though.
So does that mean they're reminiscent...he was mistaken? I'm not sure.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 pm

My Story
DerekPadula wrote:Thanks, dbzfan7. Please PM me your full name, city / country, and age, along with a photograph of yourself or something Dragon Ball related that is special to you.
I PMed the info and a pic.

Also there's this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8yAdgi ... u.be&t=22m

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Hey everyone. Here's an update on the Dragon Soul: 30 Years of Dragon Ball Fandom book that was supposed to be published today.

It'll likely be a few weeks on account of the voice actors wanting to be a part of the book. But it'll be worth the wait.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:37 am

DerekPadula wrote:Hey everyone. Here's an update on the Dragon Soul: 30 Years of Dragon Ball Fandom book that was supposed to be published today.

It'll likely be a few weeks on account of the voice actors wanting to be a part of the book. But it'll be worth the wait.
No problem. That makes things more interesting though.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:37 pm

It's out so those who contributed can see it.

On another note I paid for it, and my link gave me no files.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:04 am

dbzfan7 wrote:It's out so those who contributed can see it.

On another note I paid for it, and my link gave me no files.
Where :D? Edit: What happened to Brigitte Lecordier :(? Wasn't she in touch with the DB multiverse guys and therefore with me? Dang.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:11 am

I'm working on the ebook download issue with my tech support. Been at it all night. But don't worry, everyone who buys it tonight will get sent the files directly.

Brigitte never got back to us, after at least 5 emails and messages imploring her to reply. She said she would, but alas, she never did. The deadline was passed, extended for her, and reached again. Now the book is out, and she missed her chance.

You on the other hand, are in it!

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:27 am

And I just realized I mixed up Goku for Muten Roshi/Kame Senin when talking about moments.....shit....Kame Senin was the one who had the memorable moment making the great Piccolo Daimao run in fear. Or perhaps I meant to also say how a little boy could stand up to Daimao. Usually children are considered weak and helpless, but Goku showed how age didn't matter, but rather skill or how powerful you were. Didn't matter if you were big or small.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:28 am

You're talking about two separate points there. And it wouldn't work to put them into the same place. Here's the current paragraph.

"I’ll never forget Kame-sennin entering the Tenkaichi Budōkai, and his climatic clash with Goku. I’ll never forget how a young boy made the great Piccolo Daimaō tremble in fear, then flee for his life. I’ll never forget the Super Saiyan transformation on Namek. I’ll never forget Gohan’s ascension and him being the one to defeat Cell in a final kamehameha duel. I’ll never forget the grand finale of Goku finishing off Buu with a genki dama powered by Earth, Namek, and the afterlife. There are just so many stand out memories that I could ramble on about."

So how about this?

"I’ll never forget Goku entering the Tenkaichi Budōkai and his climatic clash with Kame-sennin. I’ll never forget how an old man stood up to the great Piccolo Daimaō, made him tremble in fear, and flee for his life. ..."

Then if you want to talk about what Goku meant to you personally, in standing up against a larger opponent, reply with additional content as a separate paragraph. The chapter works without it, but it's up to you.

Any changes will appear in the next ebook update and the eventual print book.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:10 am

DerekPadula wrote:You're talking about two separate points there. And it wouldn't work to put them into the same place. Here's the current paragraph.

"I’ll never forget Kame-sennin entering the Tenkaichi Budōkai, and his climatic clash with Goku. I’ll never forget how a young boy made the great Piccolo Daimaō tremble in fear, then flee for his life. I’ll never forget the Super Saiyan transformation on Namek. I’ll never forget Gohan’s ascension and him being the one to defeat Cell in a final kamehameha duel. I’ll never forget the grand finale of Goku finishing off Buu with a genki dama powered by Earth, Namek, and the afterlife. There are just so many stand out memories that I could ramble on about."

So how about this?

"I’ll never forget Goku entering the Tenkaichi Budōkai and his climatic clash with Kame-sennin. I’ll never forget how an old man stood up to the great Piccolo Daimaō, made him tremble in fear, and flee for his life. ..."

Then if you want to talk about what Goku meant to you personally, in standing up against a larger opponent, reply with additional content as a separate paragraph. The chapter works without it, but it's up to you.

Any changes will appear in the next ebook update and the eventual print book.
Well yeah you seem to have got it down what I meant to say above...cause Kame Senin was the one who made Piccolo Daimao flee in terror, which I don't believe was ever happened to such a cold villain normally devoid of all gags. Yet here this ruthless guy was turning tail from rice cooker.

I kinda just threw that Kid Goku thing in for rambling sake. Dunno if I'd bug for that addition, but I do find it fascinating how at least for me, Goku was the first person to break the mold of children being helpless damsels who usually a big strong guy needs to save. In fact a ton of scenes or panels show adult men constantly underestimating the small boy Goku, and then Goku would just demolish them to show that being small or a child didn't really matter. You could probably have a large count if you counted how many times the manga/anime had this happen.

Oh and uh Chris Ayres was not Guldo...that was Greg Ayres I believe.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:47 am

dbzfan7 wrote:I kinda just threw that Kid Goku thing in for rambling sake. Dunno if I'd bug for that addition, but I do find it fascinating how at least for me, Goku was the first person to break the mold of children being helpless damsels who usually a big strong guy needs to save. In fact a ton of scenes or panels show adult men constantly underestimating the small boy Goku, and then Goku would just demolish them to show that being small or a child didn't really matter. You could probably have a large count if you counted how many times the manga/anime had this happen.

I adjusted the paragraph with what you approved.

For the Goku's size thing, how about I add this paragraph to your story?

"I find it fascinating how Goku breaks the mold of children being helpless characters who need to be saved by a big strong man. There are countless scenes where adult men underestimate this young boy, and then Goku defeats them. For example, when he stands up to Daimaō, when others could not. Goku shows that it doesn’t matter how big you are on the outside. What matters is how big you are on the inside."

I could add it after the, "And oh, that moment I was graced..." paragraph.

You're right about Chris and Greg. I had some misinformation on that, and have just fixed it. Thank you.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:20 pm

DerekPadula wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I kinda just threw that Kid Goku thing in for rambling sake. Dunno if I'd bug for that addition, but I do find it fascinating how at least for me, Goku was the first person to break the mold of children being helpless damsels who usually a big strong guy needs to save. In fact a ton of scenes or panels show adult men constantly underestimating the small boy Goku, and then Goku would just demolish them to show that being small or a child didn't really matter. You could probably have a large count if you counted how many times the manga/anime had this happen.

I adjusted the paragraph with what you approved.

For the Goku's size thing, how about I add this paragraph to your story?

"I find it fascinating how Goku breaks the mold of children being helpless characters who need to be saved by a big strong man. There are countless scenes where adult men underestimate this young boy, and then Goku defeats them. For example, when he stands up to Daimaō, when others could not. Goku shows that it doesn’t matter how big you are on the outside. What matters is how big you are on the inside."

I could add it after the, "And oh, that moment I was graced..." paragraph.

You're right about Chris and Greg. I had some misinformation on that, and have just fixed it. Thank you.
Wow that is a cheezy way to put it. But it's not really just Daimao, I believe most if not every encounter before Goku grew up had people question Goku being a boy and how he shouldn't be putting himself into danger, and then he ends up leaving everyone dumbfounded once he handled the situation. This was probably most common in the Red Ribbon Army arc. To add more perspective, Toriyama seems to favour having weaker looking people be actually really strong. I think I remember their being a Kanzenshuu interview that had him say this. To this day he still goes this route as Beerus looks really meek, as well as Whis being really flamboyant, but they're both incredible. Most western media usually go the opposite route and have strong guys be brutes who are stupid, and have smaller weak people just be really smart or child geniuses. Cause for some reason people need character attributes spelled out for them with their designs, instead of just being subtle and discrete.

I'd be more concise, but I got work to go to so I can't right now. Afterwards I can organize my ramblings.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:02 pm

The book is now officially available on all platforms!

http://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/book ... available/

Thank you to everyone on the Kanzenshuu forums who submitted their stories. You helped make this book incredible!

Ajay

Re: Dragon Soul - Discussion Thread

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks so much for including me in this book.

There's a little issue I have to bring up, however. You changed a part of my section from "selfish" to "selfless":
His childlike wonder, constant urge to better himself, and selfless attitude are inherent human traits.
The bolded part is actually quite the opposite of how I feel about Goku's personality. My initial response wasn't a typo. I do very much mean that Goku is selfish, which is why I included the part about "agreeable of disagreeable" actions in the follow-up sentence.

I think it's very important that Goku is a flawed character. That's what makes him so interesting and identifiable. We see our own flaws in his personality.

If that could be altered for the print version or an updated digital copy, that would be wonderful.

Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:52 pm

So I can have that little rewrite by tomorrow if that's ok

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:10 am

Sure. That's fine on both counts.

Thanks, guys.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:16 pm

I believe the touch up to Kame Senin being the one mentioned for frightening Daimao was added so I'll jump to that other point.

Toriyama I believe has commonly followed the don't judge a book by it's cover motif. Something that fascinates me about his characters is when he commonly makes the small or meeker looking characters be the true forces to be reckoned with. In Goku's case he was a kid who defined this trope. Constantly adult figures or large anthropomorphic beasts (especially most Red Ribbon Army soldiers and associates) would look at him as a child, and then Goku would proceed to leave them dumbfounded by his might, or they'd be KOed. Several encounters in Dragon Ball always start with Goku being pointed out for being a child, Goku being laughed at or underestimated, and then Goku getting comeuppance in his usual no ill will way. It's also pretty cool how Goku doesn't stereo typically whine about people trying to treat him like a kid, but instead just prefers to let his actions and capabilities speak for him. Goku is the first person I saw break the mold of children being weak cry babies who are overall useless compared to the manly big muscled strong guys. Goku is predated even by Arale, a little robot girl who boasts far more incredible ability than her appearance shows.

Toriyama doesn't just limit this philosophy to kids. For example we have Vegeta and Nappa. Nappa is this big strong meat head, while Vegeta is this cold calculating shrimp. Vegeta while not even comparing to Nappa's build, is actually far stronger and more capable than he is. So much so he frightens the much larger behemoth. Toriyama even guys who ought to be strong are actually weak in his works. Piccolo mentions the don't judge a book by it's cover message after Freeza reveals his final form. Freeza kept getting bigger and uglier, and then suddenly he shrinks down into a slim, small, sleek look. Even though Freeza looked less frightening, he became far more terrifying than ever before. Beerus is a skinny meek looking cat, with even his rib cage showing. The poor guy looks like he hardly ever eats. Yet this feline is not only far more powerful than he looks, but he's the God of Destruction. It's kinda sad that once I step out of Toriyama's magical world, things turn back to normal. Small and frail looking characters are usually weak and/or super smart (commonly children) to compensate. On the opposite side big strong musclebound characters are big guys who are morons to the point they sometimes even purposely slow. Such a concept doesn't seem like such a big deal, but surprisingly I'm really bothered when physical stereotypes are point for point. Now if only more women in Dragon Ball could be as incredible as the males. Come on Mr. Toriyama, I'm sure you can make females awesome too. 18 was a really good start.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
A quote for this point is here, it's about Beerus but also holds the statement I was talking about.