Younger generation as main heroes in Super - for real

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Re: Younger generation as main heroes in Super - for real

Post by Toonami97 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Remember when they tried to replace Optimus prime with Rodimus and Kinnikuman niesi? (Granted that was how I was introduced to Kinnikuman to begin with)

You just can't replace

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue May 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Actually we can, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was a better protagonist, overall.

Axl is a better protagonist than X himself in Megaman X series...

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Tue May 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Scott wrote:
bubibartra wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:It's about time they should. Goku should be seen as none other than the superhero who always saved the world but now he's handling the crown to someone else who'll be worthy of it.

Dragon Ball is becoming like Pokémon Mario and CoD franchises, and well, that's not exactly a good thing.
Goku is not a classical hero,. Goku is a selfish warrior, fighting puts above all... and this is good, classical good heros isn´t for Dragon ball
Goku gave up his life for the Earth, twice, he's the ultimate hero.
Tien gave up his life for the Earth, twice. He is the ultimate hero :)
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 am

Dyno wrote:Actually we can, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was a better protagonist, overall.
I agree with this. I can't believe so many people are STILL bitter about that 30 years later. I didn't disown Dragon Ball when Vegeta died, and I didn't yet know he was coming back, and he was my favorite character when I was a kid!
Dyno wrote:Axl is a better protagonist than X himself in Megaman X series...
I wouldn't know, because X7's horrible voice acting and gameplay killed the franchise for me. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Wed May 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Well, there are Megaman X8 and Megaman X: Command Mission, try them. Both are incredible games. And Axl has his best voice actor. :wink:

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Mystic Tien wrote:
Scott wrote:
Tenshinhan gave up his life for the Earth, twice. He is the ultimate hero :)
Wait...but Krillin died four times if we count GT. Which we shouldn't because it appears to not count at this point, and the one on Namek wasn't directly for the Earth I guess...however the real canon ULTIMATE HERO ergo is
He's the ultimate hero. Forget the kids, can we focus on this ultimate champion of the people?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Wed May 06, 2015 5:52 pm

I don't like any of gthe younger generation they just seem like wannabe's of the real main characters, but to each their own. :P

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed May 06, 2015 6:06 pm

Akyon wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:
Scott wrote:
Tenshinhan gave up his life for the Earth, twice. He is the ultimate hero :)
Wait...but Krillin died four times if we count GT. Which we shouldn't because it appears to not count at this point, and the one on Namek wasn't directly for the Earth I guess...however the real canon ULTIMATE HERO ergo is
He's the ultimate hero. Forget the kids, can we focus on this ultimate champion of the people?
Kuririn has actually died 6 times, if we're being specific here.

To Tambourine, to Freeza, to the androids in the future timeline, to Boo, to #17 in GT and

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 06, 2015 6:20 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 am

Doctor. wrote:
Akyon wrote:
Kuririn has actually died 6 times, if we're being specific here.

To Tambourine, to Freeza, to the androids in the future timeline, to Boo, to #17 in GT and

In that case I nominate them both for the title of Ultimate Heroes(tm).
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 am

Kaioshin's plan was stupid though. Hell, what even was his plan? To allow Yamu and Spopovich to gather energy to revive Majin Buu and then track down Babidi? Well, that was great plan except it lead to Kibito being killed by Dabra and Piccolo and Krillin being turned into stone.
That's a legit plan. It's like letting a petty drug dealer deal so you can follow him back to his boss.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:40 am

ABED wrote:
Kaioshin's plan was stupid though. Hell, what even was his plan? To allow Yamu and Spopovich to gather energy to revive Majin Buu and then track down Babidi? Well, that was great plan except it lead to Kibito being killed by Dabra and Piccolo and Krillin being turned into stone.
That's a legit plan. It's like letting a petty drug dealer deal so you can follow him back to his boss.
Not if you can kill the drug dealer by blinking.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 am

Also, biggest problem with Kaioshin's plan is that it involved handing Babidi half the energy he needed to revive Boo. Especially since, in Kaioshin's mind, half power is enough for Boo to wipe them all out and full power is the lose condition.

That's pretty fucking dumb, and can't be compared to tailing a petty criminal. It's more like giving half the materials to build a nuclear bomb to a mole to try and prevent his leaders building it. You just wouldn't do such a thing.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Fri May 15, 2015 11:16 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kaioshin never suspected that they would obtain that much.
Not if you can kill the drug dealer by blinking.
But you must target it, unless you are wiling to nuke everything in radius of half galaxy.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't remember exactly, but Babidi's magic was a potent force against Kaioshin. Sure, Babidi couldn't best him in a physical fight but he's still dangerous, and he has bodyguards like Dabura under his control.
It's more like giving half the materials to build a nuclear bomb to a mole to try and prevent his leaders building it. You just wouldn't do such a thing.
That's still only half, what if you thought you could stop it before it was ever fully finished?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Kaioshin (somehow) didn't think Babidi had Dabura under his control.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 15, 2015 3:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaioshin (somehow) didn't think Babidi had Dabura under his control.
How could he?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:16 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Kaioshin (somehow) didn't think Babidi had Dabura under his control.
How could he?
He knew Dabura wasn't in hell for some time... soooo.....
fadeddreams5 wrote:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 15, 2015 4:23 pm

I thought he was in some other dimension or world, not Hell. And it's a big universe, even in DB, so I don't think it's a clear jump from "I can't find him" to "he's under Babidi's control". You of course see the dots being connected because you've seen the series.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri May 29, 2015 3:34 pm

It baffles me that folks don't realize how much character potential Uub has. I cannot think of anyone in a better position to reflect all of Goku's adulthood issues right back in face than the kid who will be the object of a lot of his time and lacks this "Oh Goku" filter by not having already known him for decades. Presuming Uub stays the warrior's course, there is an interesting symbiotic relationship waiting to happen there. This is not to say Uub is lead character material, but the way in which he is attached to Goku puts him a position to say and do things.
Dyno wrote:Axl is a better protagonist than X himself in Megaman X series...
That is a bit of stretch when Axl's entire character is about being the greenhorn. He was the second coming of X in his younger days in some ways, but he needed his war-weary superiors for that to really shine. Shame the series died, it really did go out on a mostly high note with those last three games.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada