BOG Licensed for US Release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

BOG Licensed for US Release?

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 am

I don't know if a post about this has been made yet or not but, this was big news i found while browsing the internet.

Also, at Anime Japan there was a map of all the places the places Dragon Ball Z has officially aired (in green) and where Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods has been licensed or will be licensed (indicated by a star). One of those places is the USA! It’s unclear when the movie will actually be released or if the company behind the world famous English dub (FUNimation) is the one who has (or will be) licensing it (since movies must be offered to 20th Century Fox first), so we’ll have to wait for some kind of formal announcement.

Here is the post about it

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: BOG Licensed for US Release?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 am

This was brought up in the thread in regards to the convention ^^. But I do find it interested since FUNimation hasn't announced anything yet.

I think if FOX did get it, they should be smart and contract it ti FUNi to dub

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:52 am

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

What's really interesting and possibly worrisome is the fact that the star is on somewhere that's definitely not Texas. But then again, I don't think they'd really know where Texas is would they? So they probably just put the star on wherever they felt like putting it on the US.

Hmm...wait, if this is for Battle of Gods though, why do most of the screenshots look like they're from the TV series?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:08 pm

The star on the map isn't too far off from New Jersey.

Confirmed: Kanzenshuu licensed Battle of Gods with your donations. You're welcome.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

I hate how most of the countries getting BoG are located on South America. I mean they only need like 3 different dubs there. Then you see Europe and only 2 countries get it. Is there any possibility for other countries to get it?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The star on the map isn't too far off from New Jersey.

Confirmed: Kanzenshuu licensed Battle of Gods with your donations. You're welcome.
:o :clap: Kanzenshuu's making the big bucks.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The star on the map isn't too far off from New Jersey.

:lol:

Ohhh, and I see now why there's screenshots from the show. I completely glossed over the part about green coloring meaning that was an area where the show had aired as well, so that's what that's about I'm going to assume.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the image! :D Now all we gotta do is wait. I honestly believe Funimation will be the ones dubbing this movie.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:02 pm

I think you right but i believe they will be sub contracted by FOX. Fox is too greedy of a studio to let a money making property such as this slip through their hands. With that said they would probably even try to do a theatrical release.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't see a theater release in my area....I live like an hour away from the theater haha :lol: and for Walmart and Gamestop about 40 minutes to an hour haha It'll probably be select theaters.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:43 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote:I think you right but i believe they will be sub contracted by FOX. Fox is too greedy of a studio to let a money making property such as this slip through their hands. With that said they would probably even try to do a theatrical release.
I dunno, I'm undecided on whether or not Fox would be interested or if they just took a while to finally take notice and sign their option away. Dragon Ball is certainly profitable, but is it profitable enough to nab the attention of a company as big as Fox is, especially after their last dealing with the franchise - Evolution - bombed so badly? It's really hard to call.
Twitter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:06 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:I think you right but i believe they will be sub contracted by FOX. Fox is too greedy of a studio to let a money making property such as this slip through their hands. With that said they would probably even try to do a theatrical release.
I dunno, I'm undecided on whether or not Fox would be interested or if they just took a while to finally take notice and sign their option away. Dragon Ball is certainly profitable, but is it profitable enough to nab the attention of a company as big as Fox is, especially after their last dealing with the franchise - Evolution - bombed so badly? It's really hard to call.
I wouldn't be extremely surprised either way...but I would be more surprised if Fox got it. You're right--Dragon Ball, while profitable, probably isn't a high priority for Fox taking into account Evolution, and the fact that DBZ is no longer quite as big a deal as it as in the late 90's/early new millennium. I'd be surprised if they picked up BoG. I certainly hope they don't...I really, really, really want the FUNimation cast to dub it. Chris Sabat, I will hear your Vegeta sing "Bingo," damn it! :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:10 pm

God yes! Seeing that will be great! :lol: I almost feel like he couldn't pull it off? haha
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:14 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I wouldn't be extremely surprised either way...but I would be more surprised if Fox got it. You're right--Dragon Ball, while profitable, probably isn't a high priority for Fox taking into account Evolution, and the fact that DBZ is no longer quite as big a deal as it as in the late 90's/early new millennium. I'd be surprised if they picked up BoG. I certainly hope they don't...I really, really, really want the FUNimation cast to dub it. Chris Sabat, I will hear your Vegeta sing "Bingo," damn it! :lol:
Exactly, that's why I can't really call for sure whether they'd be interested 100% or not. Sure, Dragon Ball still makes money, but I can't help but assume it's a paltry amount compared to what Fox spends on TV shows only to cancel them, or movies that sell badly but just good enough to make sequels. Somewhat snide jokes aside, I just don't know if there'd be enough cash involved to interest them even if Evolution had been a hit. So I'm pretty much sticking to my theory that there was a paper on a CEO's desk mentioning their first option to the movie, and he didn't even see it for a while to sign the waiver or whatever.

...Oh lord, now I'm imagining a world where Evolution had been a hit. Where am I? Is this life?

Also, yeeeessss - I must hear him do the Bingo song. :lol:
Twitter

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

samuraix123 wrote:God yes! Seeing that will be great! :lol: I almost feel like he couldn't pull it off? haha
I think he could. The dude was an opera singer, I'm sure he can pull it off. However, he would be singing in a character voice, not his own. I should clarify that while I think his voice for Vegeta fits the character, as it's very beast-like, reminiscent of an Oozaru (fitting, considering this character is the prince of the Saiyan race)....there's no denying that his voice for Vegeta is certainly very different than Horikawa's. So Sabat's voice may not be extremely compatible with the song. Since the song is part of a comedy moment, though, in this case that might actually make it better.

For what it's worth, here's the Spanish-dubbed "Bingo" scene, along with an audience's reaction. I'd love for someone to put a multilanguage video together eventually of all the different dubs of "Bingo."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:34 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
...Oh lord, now I'm imagining a world where Evolution had been a hit. Where am I? Is this life?
Evolution could have been a big sci-fi blockbuster if they got a better crew for the film. Fox got the rights to DB back in 2002 and didn't start making it until 2007. Fox pretty much show that they don't care for the franchise at all and I'm surprise that they still have the rights to the franchise. I think Funi is going to dub the film and Fox will likely have nothing to do with it. Fox will likely hold on to the rights for a little while or let it die like Sony did with the rights to Godzilla back in 2003.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Evolution could have been a big sci-fi blockbuster if they got a better crew for the film. Fox got the rights to DB back in 2002 and didn't start making it until 2007. Fox pretty much show that they don't care for the franchise at all and I'm surprise that they still have the rights to the franchise. I think Funi is going to dub the film and Fox will likely have nothing to do with it. Fox will likely hold on to the rights for a little while or let it die like Sony did with the rights to Godzilla back in 2003.
My guess is that Fox (incorrectly) anticipated that they'd be able to make a live-action franchise of DBZ movies, and so they secured their "first dib" rights to the movies in anticipation of that, most likely with a contract that guaranteed them those "first dib" rights for several years. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to make the movie as soon as they got the rights, but the project went into "developmental hell," and didn't get made until '07.

Although, if they got the rights in 2002, then technically that means they've already passed on DBZ movies. Between 2002 and 2006, FUNimation dubbed--and released to bilingual home video--nine DBZ movies. Which only reinforces my belief that Fox will pass on BoG. Heck, for all we know, FUNimation has it and is dubbing it as we speak. It wouldn't be unheard of. They began the process of dubbing Kai in December of 2009 (meaning that they secured the rights even earlier than that), and we didn't hear that they even acquired the show until a few months into February.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:42 pm

DBE bombed because it looked bad. The fans and the general movie goers rejected the movie, and there was no hype for the movie at all. If Fox does release BOG, it won't be a major release. Some people hope for a major release, but I don't see that happening. I guess around 200 - 500 screens is possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:DBE bombed because it looked bad. The fans and the general movie goers rejected the movie, and there was no hype for the movie at all. If Fox does release BOG, it won't be a major release. Some people hope for a major release, but I don't see that happening. I guess around 200 - 500 screens is possible.
Yeah I agree with that. A limited run is definitely in the cards...I can only hope.

But I hope it's sometime in summer because I'm currently away at University in the boonies. It would be a bummer to miss out on a theatrical release of DBZ, even if it does have the English dub.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.