Episode #0027 (21 May 2006)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0027 (21 May 2006)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 21, 2006 12:04 pm

Episode #0027 (download MP3)
50:34; 64 kbps, mono; 23.1 MB

Episode #0027! VegettoEX, Julian, and Meri play a round of 20 Questions! That's right, it's back by popular demand. Play along at home and see if you can out-guess the cast! No news or releases, but plenty of e-mails and learning to go around! Referenced sites: Whee! Go ahead and grab it. Big thanks to godofchaos for hosting the monumental *twenty-seven* episodes, now.

A fun episode, once again. This is what happens when Mike's not feeling well and has to delay the recording of the episode... you get insanity :P.

Let it be known that in the "fansub" vs "bootleg" debate, I didn't *at all* get into the "DVD rippers" area and such. I'd actually prefer if that discussion wasn't restricted to this thread... I'd be more than happy to set up a new thread for the whole debate, since I think it goes far beyond the scope of this podcast episode, etc.

I'm not saying I don't welcome the conversation, but rather... let me know if there's interest in discussing "fansubs" vs "bootlegs" vs "rippers" with regards exclusively to "DragonBall". If there's interest, I'll start a new thread dedicated to it. Thanks!

w0rd.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Oooh, good job using Budokai BGM for the episode. It makes sense to use game music for a game itself (20 questions), I enjoyed it alongside the dialogue, since silence in-between questions would have been boring.

Good job as always, guys. I enjoyed myself.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

_Jrinu_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by _Jrinu_ » Sun May 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Great episode once again guys, I love hearing my email answered!

I'd just like to point out kind of a "major" spelling error of on your contest page. Under prizes it says that you can win a "t-shit" and I'm certain you mean to say "T-shirt."
There is no better combination in the world than Dragonball, Cherry Pepsi, and Cheez-Its. It's a proven fact.
The Super Saiya-jin Bobba Fetts: Gym Class Badminton Champions 2006!!
Wii Friend Code: 1134 6268 9135 3724/ Xbox live gamertag: Jrinu
Jump Ultimate Stars Code: 2534 9452 9303

Great Saiyaman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Great Saiyaman » Mon May 22, 2006 12:01 am

Wait a second! I was listening to Julian's turn on 20 Questiosn & I think he was mis-leading, I was lead to believe this person was not a human. :(

I was thinking it was that Dog Judge Guy.

Also, I just wanna point out, it's stated (atleast in the Dub), Mori says that after the whole Freeza ordeal he upgraded the DB's just incase.

I cannot believe Meri forgot possibly the most important deaths ever....Krillin & Roshi's death spurred Goku meating Kami & the revival of the DragonBalls...without those 2 events DB would have ended soon.
[b]Vegito:[/b] What do you call a Goku & a Vegeta? Gogeta sounds nice.
[b]Toriyama:[/b] *wak*

[i]"I wanna go to Filler Hell when I die."-Me[/i]

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Mon May 22, 2006 12:27 am

Great Saiyaman wrote: I cannot believe Meri forgot possibly the most important deaths ever....Krillin & Roshi's death spurred Goku meating Kami & the revival of the DragonBalls...without those 2 events DB would have ended soon.
Not really, I think Goku would've eventually confronted Piccolo-daimao regardless of Kuririn's and Muten-Roshi's death... at which point he would be defeated, run off to Karin, drink the super-powered-yet-toxic water, continue on to defeat Piccolo-daimao... and all with Kuririn and Muten-Roshi joining everyone else in gasping at Goku's power.

And it was primarily the death of Shenlong that lead Karin to suggest Goku go visit Kami and restore the Dragonballs. Kuririn and Muten-roshi aren't even mentioned by name, they're kind of grouped in with everyone else who Piccolo's demon-spawn killed... You don't even see them come back to life, Kami just tells Goku "You promised to stay here, you can see them in a few years at the Tenkaichi Budokai". So, Kuririn and Muten-roshi's death? Not really fitting into Meri's specific category of 'significantly plot-changing'.

As for the 20 questions, I definetly guessed Meri's and Julian's... but VegettoEX stumped me.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon May 22, 2006 5:29 am

Hm. Personally, I felt Piccolo's death was somewhat rather significant and had quite an effect on the storyline. Sure, he died along with Yamcha, Chaozu and Tenshinhan, though this also presented quite a number of things.

-This caused Gohan to realize he HAS to mature and fight or do whatever it takes in a situation where the lives of his friends are at stake. Piccolo's death caused Gohan to not only launch a massive Masenko at Nappa, but to also decide on trying to bring Piccolo back to life.

-Kami-sama dying and the Dragon Balls vanishing. Because of this, this shattered everyone's hope of reviving Yamcha, Chaozu and Tenshinhan..until Kuririn remembers that Vegeta mentioned there being Dragon Balls on a planet called Namek, the birthplace of Piccolo's kind. Piccolo's death resulted in chaining the events of Kuririn and Gohan heading to Namek, eventually having their hidden potentials released by the Grand Elder, Goku's insane training, and of course..

-Freeza. They would not have met Freeza until probably later on or not at all. Without meeting Freeza, Piccolo would not have merged with Nail, Gohan and Kuririn wouldn't have had their hidden potentials drawn out, Goku wouldn't have gone through the brutal weight of 100x Earth's normal gravity, and Goku certainly wouldn't have gone Super Saiyan through the whole ordeal.

Sure, it's a stretch, but everything does have a kind of cause and effect. :P

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon May 22, 2006 6:08 am

In the 20 questions section, how did you manage to record the Budokai 3 music separately?
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 22, 2006 7:06 am

DBZ MAN wrote:In the 20 questions section, how did you manage to record the Budokai 3 music separately?
The power of editing a show that's not a live broadcast.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Mon May 22, 2006 10:58 am

VegettoEX wrote:
DBZ MAN wrote:In the 20 questions section, how did you manage to record the Budokai 3 music separately?
The power of editing a show that's not a live broadcast.
That avatar only causes me to imagine VegettoEX with no pants declaring that he has the power in He-Man-esque style.

And it disturbs me to no end.

Also, I think I'm really bad at guessing the answers to 20 questions.

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Mon May 22, 2006 11:18 am

Twenty questions was fun. I didn't get any, though. I thought of the Announcer two seconds before Julian said it, though. :D

I'm going to keep emailing you each week until I get mine read on the air. :) Actually, I'd probably keep emailing you after that anyway. Do you guys delete your emails each week or keep them all until they're answered? I'd think the latter would be too long.

Also, I thought Goku's death in the Cell Saga was important, because he saved Earth, and without Earth, after a while there'd be no show. Also, even if Goku hadn't died because Gohan had just gone and killed Cell, though Goku could have gone Super Saiyajin 2, I think it would have taken him more time to go Super Saiyajin 3 while alive, as he said it was harder to just mantain the level as a living person. Not to mention, if the same events of the Buu Saga played out as they had, to the point of Vegeta exploding himself, Goku wouldn't have known the Fusion Dance to teach Trunks and Goten, and so Gotenks would never have been made. Plus, even with Gohan and his power up, SSJ3 Goku, and two seperate chibi SSJs, and if Vegeta came back to Earth, along with any remaining Z Senshi, I don't think they could beat Super Buu, assuming the event of Buu's split goes as it did. I mean, one of the Kais could have brought down a pair of earrings, but would they have the time to explain?

I guess my ideas are too out there. :roll:
DaemonCorps wrote: And yes, I agree on how weird the rule for the Earth DBs were changed from two to three wishes :?
Wait. . . What? :o When were there three wishes?! (That's what I thought in the podcast, but I forgot to type that before I saw DaemonCorps' post. Silly me. :roll: )

Oh yes, and Chibi Evil Piccolo Junior is adorible! I want to huggle him! :D
Last edited by veshira on Tue May 23, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's scarier than a DBZ H-game?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLuBVyPsL5g]Fear the dancing![/url]

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon May 22, 2006 4:11 pm

Well, everyone's giving their own comments of which death should have been on this week's top 5, but I think that most of them you guys here are mentioning are more emotional than having significance.

Anyways, I was very proud of myself when I was able to answer correctly for at least Julian's 20 questions. Right on the 20th question, I was like "Ah," while Mike and Meri were all "Uhm Mr. Satan??" Yay, I feel smart! But for some reason, for all three of your guys' 20 Questions, I kept connecting the object to Upa and Bora.

Just as a side thing, I thought that Meri's object was Karin's Holy Water. As far as the clues went, they worked for that guess.

Nice podcast, not one of my favorite, but nice. I think that whenever you guys play 20 Questions, you should have more than just you three guys. HAVE MORE GUESTS!

EDIT: Sorry, one more thing: The whole thing with tiny Piccolo terrorizing throughout the place is hilarious, thinking back on it, since Dende kinda looks like a better drawn him...

And yes, I agree on how weird the rule for the Earth DBs were changed from two to three wishes :?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Snail

Post by Snail » Tue May 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Lmao it gave me a good laugh strangely for no good reason, when Mike just says.." annnd what are the releases for May ?...uhhhhghh....n-Nothing." :lol:

My gosh, Meri's " OH NOOOOO " sounded so hot, your a lucky guy VegettoEX :wink: I'm sorry, I just had to mention this *sigh*

Great Podcast! your faithful listener, Snail.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed May 24, 2006 3:56 pm

Snail wrote:My gosh, Meri's " OH NOOOOO " sounded so hot, your a lucky guy VegettoEX :wink: I'm sorry, I just had to mention this *sigh*
Very odd that quite the number of people listening to the podcasts have developed some type of pining for Meri, considering she lives with EX. Some of you guys need to buck up and get out there for your own red sea fish. If Meri's face becomes permanently red from all this flattery, it's all your faults. :P

In all seriousness, great podcast you guys. Here's hoping you'll be able to get in the Spain news for the next episode. I loved the 20 questions segment, though without GoC's unique sense of humor present, it wasn't quite the same humor-wise. Keep up the good work.
14 years later

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Wed May 24, 2006 6:57 pm

Snail wrote:My gosh, Meri's " OH NOOOOO " sounded so hot, your a lucky guy VegettoEX :wink: I'm sorry, I just had to mention this *sigh*
Speaking of Meri, doesn't she say that she goes to he gym? She's probably pumped up! Man, I like muscular women...*drools* I swear she's saying this stuff on purpose... Damn you Meri! :x

Oh yeah, I really love it when Julian's like, "sitting on my proverbial (what does that mean, anyway?) right is Mike, but you may know him as VegettoEX." However, I didn't hear Julian say "Oh dear" today. What's with that? :? That's like.. The coolest phrase! :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention how deadly serious VegettoEX sounded when he was talking about bootlegs. Master EX is a man with a passion for Dragonball! I mean, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him if he sees you with bootlegs. You'd be dead. EXtremely dead. EXterminated. EXcruciatingly murdered. EXecuted (new one).
Veshira wrote:Oh yes, and Chibi Evil Piccolo Junior is adorable! I want to huggle him!
"Huggle"? Wait... Have you made up a word? :?

EDIT: Nope. It's a real word. My bad... :oops: Don't worry, Veshira.
Last edited by Steven Perry on Fri May 26, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Thu May 25, 2006 11:41 am

Steven Perry wrote:
Veshira wrote:Oh yes, and Chibi Evil Piccolo Junior is adorible! I want to huggle him!
:o Yes. I want to [hug] Chibi Piccolo Junior. Baby versions of my favorite characters make me illiterate. :oops:

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu May 25, 2006 2:03 pm

veshira wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:
Veshira wrote:Oh yes, and Chibi Evil Piccolo Junior is adorible! I want to huggle him!
:o Yes. I want to [hug] Chibi Piccolo Junior. Baby versions of my favorite characters make me illiterate. :oops:
Psst ... Movie 11's credits have Trunks and Goten in some new footage featuring their growth pre-"Great Saiyaman" saga.
14 years later

veshira
Regular

Post by veshira » Thu May 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Psst ... Movie 11's credits have Trunks and Goten in some new footage featuring their growth pre-"Great Saiyaman" saga.
:shock: Oh my god! I didn't know this! Oh my god! Swoon... (I never bothered to get Bio-Broli. Must get. Chibi-chibi... :cry: )

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu May 25, 2006 9:50 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
Speaking of Meri, doesn't she say that she goes to he gym? She's probably pumped up! Man, I like muscular women...*drools* I swear she's saying this stuff on purpose... Damn you Meri! :x

Oh yeah, I really love it when Julian's like, "sitting on my proverbial (what does that mean, anyway?) right is Mike, but you may know him as VegettoEX." However, I didn't hear Julian say "Oh dear" today. What's with that? :? That's like.. The coolest phrase! :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention how deadly serious VegettoEX sounded when he was talking about bootlegs. Master EX is a man with a passion for Dragonball! I mean, you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him if he sees you with bootlegs. You'd be dead. EXtremely dead. EXterminated. EXcruciatingly murdered. EX... Err... You get the idea.
Nope. Some girls at con said that they wanted to do that to me after seeing me in costume. As does my really hyper friend in my school's anime club all the time to other people.

Back on topic, way to stick it to the bootleggers EX. Also with the Earth D-balls, I know dub Buu saga didn't make reference to the wish increase due to there not being a third wish granted in the series.

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri May 26, 2006 3:30 am

Psst ... Movie 11's credits have Trunks and Goten in some new footage featuring their growth pre-"Great Saiyaman" saga.[/quote]

Don't forget how frickin' awesome the japanese track for the credits for Movie 11 was :D

Vaeran

Post by Vaeran » Sun May 28, 2006 1:57 am

D'oh! I could have sworn Julian's object was going to be the stone arena for the Cell Games. Can't be held in your hand, used by a villain, could be construed as a location... I fail.