Toonami Rewind airing Dragon Ball Z....Kai?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Toonami Rewind airing Dragon Ball Z....Kai?

Post by Dragon ball master » Sat May 18, 2024 3:16 pm

So it was Announced that on May 31th they will be rewinding toonami back to the 5-7 pm time slot with airing sailor moon, OG naruto and Dragon Ball Z.... Kai. I don't understand why it's an nostalgia thing like cartoon Networks checkerpast block but why would you not get the actual Z. Like they can't get the license for it to air. But the Sunday toonami still airs dbz kai so the Rewind version is on episode 1 and then the Normal is on episode 12 Like this kind of confusion

Promo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSw-w_u2 ... ZXdpbmQ%3D

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Toonami Rewind airing Dragon Ball Z....Kai?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 18, 2024 3:23 pm

As I explained in the other thread it's likely because Cartoon Network don't want to have to go through the hassle of relicensing Dragon Ball Z when they still have the license for a competing product like Kai.

Traditional TV is also not the lucrative business it once was so broadcasters are not going to take as many chances as they once did.

As MasenkoHA also pointed out Funimation probably don't want to keep having to pay Bruce Faulconer royalties (which he doesn't deserve), which they would need to do on a constant basis if they were to allow their dub be aired as a nostalgic event.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:48 pm

Dragon ball master wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:16 pm So it was Announced that on May 31th they will be rewinding toonami back to the 5-7 pm time slot with airing sailor moon, OG naruto and Dragon Ball Z.... Kai. I don't understand why it's an nostalgia thing like cartoon Networks checkerpast block but why would you not get the actual Z. Like they can't get the license for it to air. But the Sunday toonami still airs dbz kai so the Rewind version is on episode 1 and then the Normal is on episode 12 Like this kind of confusion

Promo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTSw-w_u2 ... ZXdpbmQ%3D
I already made a thread about this.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 19, 2024 3:13 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:23 pm

As MasenkoHA also pointed out Funimation probably don't want to keep having to pay Bruce Faulconer royalties (which he doesn't deserve), which they would need to do on a constant basis if they were to allow their dub be aired as a nostalgic event.
Although the obvious solution for that would be to just use the remastered dub with the Shunsuke Kikuchi score (and let's not kid ourselves that is exactly what Funimation would do if they relicenced Z's broadcast rights to Toonami) although then millennial fans would bitch and moan they're not using the American score so at that point...might as well use Kai since at least gen z has nostalgia for Dragon Ball Z Kai