"Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (incl. "DB Minus")

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Re: "Jaco the Galactic Patrolman" discussion (Tankōbon April

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Anyway, Toriyama doesn't recall exactly how the design of Bardock went down:
How was the character of Bardock born? (I heard he was born from the TV special, “A Lonely Final Battle”, but…) Also, what sort of attachment do you have to the character Bardock?
Yes, Bardock certainly was born from the anime.
However, I don’t remember the particulars of how it went at that time1.

As for his design, I think I probably just gave some editorial supervision to what was suggested to me by [people from] the anime side of things.

I don’t recall a lot about the exact contents of the anime, but I do remember it being quite well done. So I used that setting in the main story, as well.
:lol:

You know, I like Ooshi overall. You could tell in that interview with Toriyama her questions (even if guided) were those of a fan that really wants to know the specifics we never got.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 pm

The hype is strong. That trailer gave me more questions than answers.

Talking about Jaco manga overall.
Since the beginning its obvious that Toriyama, this time, planned thing out. But it was its own idea to make this DB prequel or someone asked him to do it?!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:But it was its own idea to make this DB prequel or someone asked him to do it?!
What does this matter? It wasn't his idea for the series to be longer than ten or so volumes, but that still happened and we still regard it as a part of the series.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 pm

B wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:But it was its own idea to make this DB prequel or someone asked him to do it?!
What does this matter? It wasn't his idea for the series to be longer than ten or so volumes, but that still happened and we still regard it as a part of the series.
Just curiosity. I would like to know the answer but seems like you dont know either.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm just glad he decided to do something DB related, starting with Jaco.

I'm sure he got plenty of fanmail, even before the story was over, asking him if he was really going to show Goku and others asking him to draw more about Goku's past. Sure, it seems like he had finished all the manga by the time they started publishing it but... the editors must had seen the potential of the nostalgia and encouraged/suggested him to do the extra chapter.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm

soulnova wrote:I'm just glad he decided to do something DB related, starting with Jaco.

I'm sure he got plenty of fanmail, even before the story was over, asking him if he was really going to show Goku and others asking him to draw more about Goku's past. Sure, it seems like he had finished all the manga by the time they started publishing it but... the editors must had seen the potential of the nostalgia and encouraged/suggested him to do the extra chapter.
Seems like so. But that thing "The shocking revival of Dragon Ball" was kinda over the top. xD

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

:lol:
I'm used to those expressions after all this time.

But...well, he *did* revived DB from its slumber and even gave us some Saiyan goodness as a dessert!

It just surprises me that after all this time the questions about Goku's mother hadn't been brought up on an interview before. It would have been one of my first questions along with the info of the original Planet Saiya and the Tsufu-Saiya war.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
B wrote:
Just curiosity. I would like to know the answer but seems like you dont know either.
Right, nobody knows, but the implication that Toriyama being prompted to work on this extra material, as opposed to jumping out of bed with an idea, somehow "lessens" the work feels very dodgy to me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

auspx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by auspx » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:46 am

So, did Goku's parents tell him to "kill all the Earthlings and conquer the planet" or what? Maybe his mom wouldn't say it like that but I'm sure that Bardock would. Now I really want to see what exactly happened when Goku met Grandpa Gohan for the first time. Did he attack Grandpa Gohan?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 am

Getting a chance to look at the clearer image; I don't know why child Raditz amuses me here; probably because I'm so used to how incredibly tall he is as an adult that it's kinda neat to see him as a kid (also, after hearing child!Pilaf, I kind of want to hear Shigeru Chiba's child!Raditz now. X3 )

I guess Toriyama's definitely going with the "child Vegeta has no bangs" route.

I want to translate Bardock's dialogue bubbles so badly, but I'm in desperate need of sleep, so possibly I may attempt translation after I get some rest. @_@
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgt

Post by dbgt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:49 pm

I got the super kanzenban of Jaco today, after opening it I will share more pictures

More Pictures:
Last edited by dbgt on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:33 pm

auspx wrote:Image

So, did Goku's parents tell him to "kill all the Earthlings and conquer the planet" or what? Maybe his mom wouldn't say it like that but I'm sure that Bardock would. Now I really want to see what exactly happened when Goku met Grandpa Gohan for the first time. Did he attack Grandpa Gohan?
Yep. Both specials of Bardock are out of the canon now. Can't wait for this, how long will the manga be?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, I loved the Bardock special, so seeing Bardock looking at Goku with a smile is a bit off-putting, but I am curious and I obviously don't really know anything about it yet.

I'm sure it'll be better than Episode of Bardock though. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do love it as well but it is what it is.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:50 pm

It feels belated now, but here's my attempt to translate that screenshot from the commercial:
When it came to the smaller/blurrier text, I felt less confident, but I gave it a try anyway. ^^;

Also! Thoughts on the additional pictures of Gine I've seen:
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:56 pm

I found a site with a few more images, don't know where it would fall under Kanzenshuu policy.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

dbgt

Post by dbgt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm

Some pics of Dragon Ball Minus

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Well I just went through Dragon Ball Minus and consider me very underwhelmed. :lol:

I would have rather had Toriyama use the Bardock story that we are familiar with, and perhaps explore some of the background of the Planet Trade Organization, or something much more interesting than an arguably weaker counterpart to the first Bardock special.

Why mess with the greatness that was the first special? I know it wasn't directly written by Toriyama but he really enjoyed it, so why offer an alternative look at it beyond just meeting some kind of publisher request? Dragon Ball minus is way too short for me to stand on its own and I'm just kind of like :thumbdown: about the whole thing.

But perhaps I'm just being way too negative about it all. Hmmmmmm.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I can only presume that thing child Gokû is floating in early in the comic must be his bed or a rejuvenation chamber because I can't think of anything else that makes sense. He's awake and in his armor later in the comic and it doesn't look like enough time as passed for him to have been a baby a few pages before.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:40 pm

Can't wait for the story now!
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.