Did FUNImation irrepairably cripple the fandom in the US?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did FUNImation irrepairably cripple the fandom in the US

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am

The music thing has to do with money at times. And it's not always a bad thing. Trust me, the Go-Lion music isn't that good, and Voltron's is much better.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 am

Super Sonic wrote:The music thing has to do with money at times. And it's not always a bad thing. Trust me, the Go-Lion music isn't that good, and Voltron's is much better.
The money issue seems like a rationalization by FUNi. It seems more likely that the music was designed to "appeal more to an American audience".
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Straw

Post by Straw » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:11 pm

ABED wrote:But who watches the show for the music? I don't think the Japanese music would've deterred anyone if that had been the soundtrack.
If the comments on YouTube are any indication, then A LOT of people. For some heads, the show is straight up ruined if Faulconer's score isn't there, and then you have cats like me who consider Kikuchi's score to be a selling point. The only thing that really bothers me today (other than the cropped video), is the fact that FUNimation's take on DBZ is so ubiquitous you meet a lot of people who don't lurk on forums that aren't even aware that there's a big difference between the American and Japanese version.

But we're all here because we love the damn thing, so no, the fandom isn't crippled. Just stalemated.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Straw wrote:
ABED wrote:But who watches the show for the music? I don't think the Japanese music would've deterred anyone if that had been the soundtrack.
If the comments on YouTube are any indication, then A LOT of people. For some heads, the show is straight up ruined if Faulconer's score isn't there, and then you have cats like me who consider Kikuchi's score to be a selling point. The only thing that really bothers me today (other than the cropped video), is the fact that FUNimation's take on DBZ is so ubiquitous you meet a lot of people who don't lurk on forums that aren't even aware that there's a big difference between the American and Japanese version.

But we're all here because we love the damn thing, so no, the fandom isn't crippled. Just stalemated.
I don't think youtube is a representative sample.

Again, I'm saying "just for the music". I never claimed music can't help or detract.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Straw

Post by Straw » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 pm

ABED wrote: I don't think youtube is a representative sample.

Again, I'm saying "just for the music". I never claimed music can't help or detract.
Well, sometimes I do. Heh.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm

I don't see any reason to solely blame Funimation for the state of the fanbase. I mean, it's not like Funimation made them incapable of accepting other versions of Dragon Ball than the one they grew up with. That's a problem that lies entirely with the fans themselves.

Sure, you can blame Funimation for messing up the show with what they did, but they have no control over the fans.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:59 pm

I wouldn't say I wouldn't watch any new DBZ adaptation just because it doesn't have Bruce Faulconer, but I definitely WAS thinking about rescoring all of Dragon Ball Z Kai with it (though it seems someone already beat me to that. He didn't rescore the ENTIRE series, but he's rescored all of Goku vs. Frieza and various other fights).
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Years back around the time the Orange Bricks were getting released, I was a complete FUNi dub fanboy if you want to call it and hated on the Ocean Dub as well as not checking out the Japanese version etc. But funny enough, I slowly turned towards the others and began to hate the FUNi dub. I primarily watched the japanese version while still having the Ocean Dub for nostalgia sake. But I had quite a hate for the Faulconer Productions score and just refused to have anything apart of it.

Only since sometime last year, I gave the FUNi dub and even the Faulconer score another try and it wasn't the worst that I thought it was. I've come to accept them for what they are, that they're completely different entities, but if I'm wanting the true viewing, I still stick with the Japanese version through my Dragon Boxes. In some way, the FUNi dub with American score (both Johnson and Faulconer Prod.) is still somewhat entertaining in its own way, but it's not the version I'd want to really engage with the story in.
I guess that's why I ultimately decided to include both the FUNi dub with Kikuchi score from DBOX and FUNi dub with US score from Orange Bricks and volumes (wanting the original '99-'03 version) for my colour corrected DBOX Blu-ray project.

Though with DB Kai, this is different as the dub for that is brilliant and is actually my preferred version since it brought something new whereas the Japanese version was just a re-recording of what they already had.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 pm

I dont think Funimation did anything. Its the Fans who wont accept the source material. Fumimation didnt do anything Dic didnt already do. Though times were different then. The fans are the ones that are stuck on their toonami nostalgia seeing DBZ only the way they want it to in order to fit the meme.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:26 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I dont think Funimation did anything. Its the Fans who wont accept the source material. Fumimation didnt do anything Dic didnt already do. Though times were different then. The fans are the ones that are stuck on their toonami nostalgia seeing DBZ only the way they want it to in order to fit the meme.
I'm certain many of the fans would've accepted almost anything they were given.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I dont think Funimation did anything. Its the Fans who wont accept the source material. Fumimation didnt do anything Dic didnt already do.
Except give us some of the best cartoons of the 80s.

On topic, it also might be due with it being 11 years since DBZ ended. Some guys don't care about changes done and move on. Also with nostalgia what one hears first affects them. For example, with the Super Show clip I posted, while everyone loves Charles Martinet, many of my generation if asked who their favorite voice for Mario and Luigi was, they'd reply the late Captain Lou Albano and the late Danny Wells as that is who they heard first, and many saw that before playing the games, like I did. (Didn't get NES until Christmas 1989).

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 am

Super Sonic wrote:For example, with the Super Show clip I posted, while everyone loves Charles Martinet, many of my generation if asked who their favorite voice for Mario and Luigi was, they'd reply the late Captain Lou Albano and the late Danny Wells as that is who they heard first, and many saw that before playing the games, like I did. (Didn't get NES until Christmas 1989).
Wait, what? *runs to wikipedia* Damn it! I knew Captain Lou had been dead for a while, but Danny Wells is now too? That's just depressing. They were indeed my favorite voices for Mario and Luigi, and now they're both gone. :cry:
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:37 am

Super Sonic wrote:The music thing has to do with money at times. And it's not always a bad thing. Trust me, the Go-Lion music isn't that good, and Voltron's is much better.
Big difference being that Voltron isn't trying to pass itself off as Golion, it's just trying to be its own thing while using Golion footage.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:01 pm

I really don't believe so. I have many friends who enjoy the original Funi dub and there is nothing between us that ever makes things heated. I think it's just the kind of environment a message board can create that makes many conversations so polarized.

So for me, this whole fandom divide in the U.S. is just overstated and overblown. It's easy to think that this message board (or other DBZ message boards) represent the current state of DBZ fandom in America but it's just one microcosmic part of a much larger whole.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Smochi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Smochi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 pm

I think it's more of the case that assholes irrepairably cripple the reputation of the fandom.

I prefer the FUNI dub, because it is what I grew up with and those voices fill me with memories that make me much happier than superior acting jobs do. However, I don't think the dub is superior. But even if I did, what right do I have for making someone feel bad for something they JUST said makes them happy? That's just bringing someone down. I've also heard people say things like "I've only seen the dub, I'm sorry...I know..."

How badly do people have to be treated that they apologize in advance like that? I think the rude diehard fans of dubs are equally as bad as those of subs, and both of them make their own peers look bad. On that note, that kind of damage is never irreparable if you take the time to know someone. There are nice people on every spectrum of the fandom, and they can make you forget the mean ones, or at least find the worth putting up with.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Smochi wrote:I think the rude diehard fans of dubs are equally as bad as those of subs, and both of them make their own peers look bad.
Here here, and that pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter as well. Yes, FUNimation made a LOT of mistakes in the past. Hell, they still make them now, they're not perfect. And maybe if we'd had an accurate dub from the get go, we wouldn't have near as much of an argument between the factions. But, the thing is...it'd still be there in some way, no matter what. I've seen time and again fans of any dub commenting about how they can't stand the original Japanese versions, or how they just don't (or can't) read the subtitles fast enough to keep up; just like I've seen time and again fans of subtitles complaining about how a dub messes everything up. And I'm talking about with shows that are usually regarded to have good dubs, such as Fullmetal Alchemist or Cowboy Bebop, too.

Not to mention the power debates. I don't know if this is a DBZ alone problem or what (as I've never ventured too deeply into some other major fighting shonen fandoms), but good lord are the power debates fierce, and that's something that would most definitely exist no matter what. So when I consider that the fandom would still be pretty fractured just from that alone, I find it hard to place all the blame solely on FUNi. But again, they're not without faults either.

And as far as it being 'irreparable', that's mostly down to the fans as well, as we just can't ever seem to agree to disagree on most things. It almost always has to be this big 'thing', sadly.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri May 02, 2014 12:03 am

I don't know if I'd say cripple, but it's very annoying when you have people unknowingly bring up dub lines in debates and whatnot, and it makes it very hard to have discussions with people who only know of FUNimation's dubs.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri May 02, 2014 12:27 am

Hmm...I thought of something else in regards to ABED's point. As I said before, not having Team Faulconer isn't keeping me from watching DBZ period, but I will say that it definitely drags down my enjoyment every time I'm watching a scene, and thinking "*Sigh*, if only they had played the Time Chamber theme when Goku was encouraging his son to fight Cell", or "If only they had Frieza's theme playing with Chris Ayer's performance", or "Man, this scene was so much more awesome when the 'SSJ Transformation' was playing here", or "Man, Cell's speech here was so much more intimidating when this or that theme was playing", or "I really miss those days when everyone had their own special themes and motifs that would always play when they were in the spotlight", and other things like that.

I have a really hard time turning off the critic mode when it comes to music, so in that way, a lot of the scenes in DBZ lose their impact when they don't have that music that pushed them over the top. I mean, don't get me wrong, my enjoyment isn't bogged down THAT much, since, well, a well dubbed and written anime is still a well dubbed and written anime after all. It just stinks for me, hearing what I deem to be inferior music for my favorite show.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri May 02, 2014 4:54 am

Fionordequester wrote:It just stinks for me, hearing what I deem to be inferior music for my favorite show.
I was thinking the same thing, the techno Faulconer music doesn't fit Dragon Ball AT ALL.

For every good theme he ever had, he also did things like "Bulma and the Frog".

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 02, 2014 10:27 am

Smochi wrote:I think the rude diehard fans of dubs are equally as bad as those of subs
There are rude diehard sub fans of Dragon Ball? I mean, we're all here. At times it can seem like the mere existence of this site offends fans of the dub. See the comments on Daizenshu EX's video for the anime's alteration to Piccolo's chest shot on Namek, if that video is still up on YouTube.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki