Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:01 am

I have seen some Episodes of DBZ Kai TFC and I was really happy seeing how much better Sabat's Vegeta sounded in Majin Vegeta vs Goku Fight, but then Boo was released and that same old Whiney Elmo voice with the same Third Person Tone and it's really unbearable for me. I mean if they got Chris Ayres for Freeza then why cannot they fix Fat Boo's voice?

I mean I think pure Evil Boo, Kid Boo, Super Boo, Bootenks and Boohan sound fine.but for some reason Fat Boo sounds the same and it's not like other non-English Dubs didn't got it right because from what I have seen the Latin American, French, German Dub all got it right but in English he sounds like a tele tubbie, I think Josh Martin should have slightly pitched his voice down
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does anyone have a problem with how Fat Boo sounds in FUNi Dub?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:15 am

TELETUBBIES! Tinky Winky! Dipsy! Lala! Po! PO!

LOL.

Anyway, I'm glad you like our Boo!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 am

That was the first Boo voice I was exposed to, and I never had a problem with the pitch. So it doesn't really bother me most of the time. I always thought it was a fitting voice. It does sound dumb whenever the character has any serious moments though. I think back to GT where he is having that heartfelt moment with satan before he fuses with Oob, but the voice kind of ruins it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:26 am

Oh, yes, I do have problems with Majin Buu's voice in the FUNi dub. It's too obvious, too grating and too childish. It's better than the Ocean (My god, Scott, what were you and the voice director thinking) and Blue Water voices. That's not saying much, though.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:19 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Oh, yes, I do have problems with Majin Buu's voice in the FUNi dub. It's too obvious, too grating and too childish. It's better than the Ocean (My god, Scott, what were you and the voice director thinking) and Blue Water voices. That's not saying much, though.
Blue Waters voice of Fat Boo in GT Dub wasn't as bad
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:20 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:TELETUBBIES! Tinky Winky! Dipsy! Lala! Po! PO!

LOL.

Anyway, I'm glad you like our Boo!
You mean Latin American Dub?
I like their Freeza voice as well and the casting is good

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:54 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Oh, yes, I do have problems with Majin Buu's voice in the FUNi dub. It's too obvious, too grating and too childish. It's better than the Ocean (My god, Scott, what were you and the voice director thinking) and Blue Water voices. That's not saying much, though.
Blue Waters voice of Fat Boo in GT Dub wasn't as bad
I disagree, but to each his own. I guess all I want is a voice actor who can capture what Shioya does in the role. Shioya plays Buu as childish but he doesn't use a voice that makes it obvious that Buu is a child.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:04 am

You think Scott's is worse? I actually found that version funnier and more natural sounding, the voice also took some skill to pull off unlike the Funimation one, which is just a guy remaining in a high pitch falsetto the entire time, anyone can do that and it just sounds annoying to me.
Ripper 30 wrote: Blue Waters voice of Fat Boo in GT Dub wasn't as bad
Interesting, I found that voice just as bad as the Funimation one. it sort of reminds me of Jar Jar Binks.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:33 am

NitroEX wrote:You think Scott's is worse? I actually found that version funnier and more natural sounding, the voice also took some skill to pull off unlike the Funimation one, which is just a guy remaining in a high pitch falsetto the entire time, anyone can do that and it just sounds annoying to me.
Well, I love Scott, the guy's one of my favorite voice actors, but he should have used a less obvious voice. I don't think there's one English voice actor that truly nails this character. Unfortunately, the best guy who could nail Majin Buu IMHO doesn't do anime dubs, but oh well.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:32 am

FUNi dub Boo was the first time I saw the character, so the voice sounds fine to me. It was a bit jarring hearing the original Boo for the first time, but now I've grown to actually like it.

I can totally understand why someone who's familiar with the original voice would have a problem with FUNi dub Boo. It's a totally different performance from the original Japanese voice.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am

It's not a matter of it not matching his JPN counterpart, it's simply annoying. Cook's performance as Buu is also awful, but not as annoying as the high pitched child who still speaks like a toddler.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Eight-Star Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eight-Star Dragon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:54 pm

I'm torn on Fat Boo's dub voice. Whenever he's supposed to be having a conversation, I think the voice sounds terrible and I can't take it seriously. But whenever Boo is supposed to be goofing off in the middle of battle, humming for example, I think it works well in showing how much fun he's having and how nonchalant he is.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes. It's absolutely insufferable though for the life of me I can't figure out how Josh Martin does it. The super high voice is extremely unsettling and Fat Boo's voice is one of the very few voices that I vastly prefer the Japanese voice for.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 pm

I never had a problem with Fat Buus dub voice. I really like it actually.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm ok with it. Though I'm not a fan of Scott's version.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:34 am

Josh Martin should have just used his Kid Buu voice for Fat Buu, since that raspy voice is at least more similar to the Japanese voice.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:I never had a problem with Fat Buus dub voice. I really like it actually.
I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:08 am

Honestly, I actually prefer how Buu sounds in the FUNi dub compared to how he sounds in the Japanese version. It just fits him more in my opinion.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:I never had a problem with Fat Buus dub voice. I really like it actually.
I agree, it adds more to character he is a fat pink blob with incredible power him sounding childish and annoying really works.
I personally don't really see how it adds to his character. If anything, it really takes a lot away in those really serious moments if you ask me. Especially in those scenes in Z where he's supposed to be scary. I can't take it seriously. His original one portrays the whole "child-like, but frightening" aspect without failing at either.

For example, the scene where he kills Babidi. I feel like a lot of the original atmosphere in that scene is taken away when you reduce his voice to being sort of one dimensional.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 am

ABED wrote:It's not a matter of it not matching his JPN counterpart, it's simply annoying. Cook's performance as Buu is also awful, but not as annoying as the high pitched child who still speaks like a toddler.
What's your opinion on the voice Justin Cook used in Kai TFC for Super Boo?
I think it's a big improvement as now it's way more gruff and angrier just like how Japanese Super Boo sounded like